Many netizens are celebrating the verdict, although some believe that the attackers deserve harsher sentences or death penalties Read More
Big Spoon is one of our favorite artists to watch. We wrote about his music video for “Poppin” when it came out, but the rapper is back this time with “Flex”, an effortless bump over a self-produced ambient trap beat.
The track finds Spoon in peak form, delivering quality bars with a nonchalance that would make Gucci Mane stop and take notice.
(GS refers to Gluestick Entertainment, Big Spoon’s label)
Big Spoon is in the pocket, holding down a dirty south style that doesn’t line up at all with his Hong Kong identity…but we love every second of it. The beat this time is a Big Spoon original — floating, ambient, with a nuanced piano sample and top-notch drum arrangements that you can’t help but move to.
To get to the bottom of the Big Spoon phenomenon, we caught up with the rapper for 20 insightful, deep-reaching questions:
1. What’s your favorite non-hip hop artist?
A band called Mew.
2. What’s your favorite song from before 1980?
Chopin’s whole discography, favorite song would be Polonaise in A-flat major.
3. If you could officially name a deep sea creature, what would you call it?
4. What’s your favorite article of clothing you own?
5. Describe the perfect date between Big Spoon and a lucky lady.
N/A, been off the market. [Editor’s Note: sorry, Little Spoon hopefuls]
6. If you could erase one musician from existence, who would you pick?
None because I am not Zeno.
8. If you’re in HK for 24 hours, what’s the one thing you can’t skip?
“Joker” at Fei Ji Xiao Shi Dian [a food market in Mong Kok]
9. Where’s somewhere you’ve never been that you want to go to the most?
10. Do you have any hidden talents?
Competitive eating, I got trophies for real.
11. What’s one of your favorite books?
12. Are you excited for the live action adaptation of Mulan, or nah?
Indifferent at the moment. But they better not make one on Ariel, she was my childhood crush.
13. Can you kickflip?
Only on Tech Decks.
14. What’s the best flavor of Pocky?
15. Which Egyptian God Card are you?
Never got into Yu-Gi-Oh, but Ho-Oh is my favorite Pokemon and it’s kinda similar to the Egyptian Bennu.
16. Have you ever gotten acupuncture or fire cupping? Do you think it’s useful?
Never, but down to try both when I’m old.
17. What’s your best accessory?
18. Are Crocs making a comeback?
They never left.
19. If you could simultaneously teach the entire world one important thing or lesson, what would it be?
Just do you and don’t worry.
20. What’s the dumbest question you’ve ever been asked? (outside of these)
None. There are more dumb answers than there are dumb questions.
Big Spoon will be dropping more knowledge on an upcoming track with Lai Kei of Siuyehgang. Keep your eyes peeled.
Highly worth perusing, this current exhibition on sustainable design in Shanghai is packed full of lovingly designed products Read More
#Shanghai Fashion Week
China’s biggest fashion event, Shanghai Fashion Week, is back this week and welcoming in-person attendees for the first time since last year Read More
Instead of Kombucha, Chinese Youths Are Chugging These Herbal Drinks Watch More
Chinese companies are embracing the globally renowned Bored Ape Yacht Club and giving the NFTs a ‘China-Chic’ makeover Read More