Posted at 2022-07-04 14:46:47
RADII (rā’dē-ī’) is an independent platform of artists, writers and creators dedicated to providing a window into the rarely explored sides of Chinese youth culture. Founded in 2017, RADII’s mission is to captivate the world through stories that transcend boundaries.
The associate editor will report to the managing editor and is expected to create and edit insightful content for RADII’s ‘Future’ section, which is focused on China’s tech industry. They may be asked to also help produce/oversee content for RADII’s other sections, which cover entertainment, society, travel, food and drink, and more. This content will be published on the radiichina.com and RADII.co platforms and cater to young readers worldwide.
He or she will be responsible for overseeing their assigned sections, working in conjunction with other editors, staff writers and freelancers to ensure content meets the company’s quality expectations and compliments brand positioning and the RADII mission.
In this role, the candidate will pitch, create and edit content, ensure deadlines are met, correspond with and guide contributors and staff writers, and help upload articles and other media to RADII’s platforms. When necessary, they will be expected to cooperate and aid marketing and other departments with editing and other content-creation needs.
The ideal candidate is proactive, has good time-management skills, a sharp eye for detail, and a firm grasp of what constitutes a good story. They should also be a team player.
Of course, this candidate should passionately devour China-related and broader international news and have their finger on the pulse of trends and stories that resonate with young readers. Familiarity with commercialized and sponsored content is a plus.
Most importantly, the candidate should have a strong desire to carry out RADII’s mission of sharing captivating stories that transcend boundaries.
- Writing a minimum of four to five short news articles focused on the Chinese tech industry each week
- Completing a minimum of one long-form feature story focused on the tech sphere each month
- Editing tech-related articles from freelancers, interns, other media collaborators, and staff writers; editing content from other sections when called upon
- Ensuring that content meets RADII’s strict content standards and that all articles have been thoroughly edited before being presented to the managing editor for a final edit
- Attending weekly editorial meetings to pitch story ideas and offer constructive feedback on pitches from other editors/staff writers
- Adhering to the editorial content schedule and strategy to ensure that assigned sections are consistently graced with new content and that deadlines are met
- Recruiting/corresponding with/curating pitches from freelancers to ensure RADII’s platforms contain a variety of unique voices and viewpoints
- Assisting with multimedia projects (videos, podcasts, etc.) when appropriate
- Uploading content to RADII’s platforms; assisting in uploading content from other departments when called upon
- Representing the company at public-facing events when necessary
- Ensuring a safe and welcoming work environment for all staff
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism, communications or a related field
- Minimum of two years of full-time experience in editing, journalism, communications or a related field
- Strong editing and writing skills
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Portfolio of published written work
- In-depth understanding of lifestyle, social and cultural topics
- Strong organizational/time-management skills
- Passionate about China and Chinese culture (as well as the RADII mission to bridge East and West)
- Basic Photoshop skills and an understanding of SEO
- Genuine interest in multimedia journalism (videos, podcasts, infographics, etc.) is a plus
- English fluency required; Chinese-language abilities are desirable
Interested candidates may send an introductory email and CV to [email protected].